Tuesday, August 7, 2007

teacher salary, wine lover

In the last few years I've made the disappointing discovery that:

1) I like wine
2) Wine is expensive
3) I love my job
4) I love it more after a glass of wine at the end of the day
5) My job will never pay me enough to pretend to be in Sideways. (To be honest I couldn't even stay awake during the film because I was tired after a long day of teaching)

So, in the last few years we've tried different ways to bring together my love of wine and my small pay scale.

1) Box wine. - While this is fun for those alcoholic months, it doesn't give you that same satisfaction. It's kind of like that natty light in college. It got the job done, but was it really a job that was needed in the first place? Sometimes you're better off sober.

2) 3 buck Chuck via Trader Joe's. I discovered this my first year out of college and it got me and my friends through some times. Raise a glass to Trader Joe's.

3) The Williamsburg Winery wine that frequently goes on sale in the grocery store for $6.99. It's fabulous, and it feels like a taste of VA culture. I wonder if we're supporting the historical society by drinking it. Hmmmm....

4) Stay away from fancy wines. A good friend knew nothing about wine until she started working at the society of wine educators. Now she can drink with the rest of them but can no longer enjoy my spiked Trader Joe's grape juice. Improving my tastes might make me more socially acceptable, but it will only hurt my wallet.

Hopefully this blog will help us continue to explore the non-wine connoisseur side of the wine world.

3 comments:

Suzanne G. said...

Where do you live? I live in Massachusetts and we have the Nashoba vineyard which is very tasty and wonderful. I grew up in New York State and there are wonderful family vineyards in the Finger Lakes. They are sweet and tasty.

I suggest you plan a vacation around some wine tasting. Napa or Sonoma valley in California is wonderful, the Finger Lakes, even some places in Texas!

Mead is also a wonderful way to taste the earth. Do a little research and book a vacation. You won't regret it! Make sure you buy cases and cases, it's much cheaper than from the liquor store.

-Suzanne

PS I appreciate your input on my blog. You are a great cyber-friend.

organized chaos said...

What a great idea! We'll have to venture up that way. We live in Va and have some wineries within an hour or so drive. I never would have thought of Texas.
Thanks for the suggestion :)

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you for your information.